Laboratorio Nacional de Engenharia Civil
The Laboratório Nacional de Engenharia Civil – LNEC (National Laboratory for Civil Engineering) is a state owned research and development (R&D) institution founded in 1946. LNEC carries out research activities in the fields as follows: public works, housing, town planning, environment, water resources, estuaries, coastal areas, transportation and communication networks, materials industry, building components and other products. The main purpose of these activities is to contribute to:
- Quality and safety of works;
- Protection and rehabilitation of the natural and built patrimony;
- Technological modernisation and innovation in the building sector;
- Minimisation of natural and technological hazards;
- Development of natural resources from a viewpoint of sustainable development.
The laboratory has 630 staff, of which 44% hold a university degree and 25% are researchers with a PhD or equivalent qualification. It also has about 100 science research fellows with grants awarded by LNEC.
LNEC will undertake the construction-related testing during the BioBuild project, including fullscale testing of assembled façade demonstrator systems.